Groovy Groomsmen Gifts, an online resource that helps couples hunt for creative gift ideas for the guys, is currently running a wedding giveaway with the winner receiving a group caricature of the wedding party for free. Find out more here!
Groomsmen are typically the groom’s best buddies. Essentially, they are the male counterpart of the bridesmaids. While they don’t really have a ton of responsibilities for the wedding compared to the best man, they do offer their assistance whenever necessary. For example, they help the best man in planning the bachelor party, making sure that it would be both memorable and enjoyable, especially for the groom. They also attend wedding rehearsals, the wedding dinner, and are expected to get themselves prepared for the big day.
Photo: Happy Everything Co.
Groomsmen day-of the wedding duties:
- Arrive at the venue early. Remember, the bride comes in last, not the bridesmaids nor the groomsmen. Being there early means you have plenty of time to take in the venue. Then, you can provide valuable assistance to guests should they require some ushering. It’s also a show of support for the groom. You could provide some relief from the wedding jitters that grooms experience before the ceremony starts.
- Have their wedding attire neat and ready. Groomsmen are expected to shoulder the cost of the rental for their suit, unless the groom offers. They should arrive all neat and photo-ready.
- Participate in wedding party shots. Groomsmen are part of the wedding entourage, and as such should be present for the wedding day group photo session. This can be either completely formal, or wacky with the groomsmen sporting similar socks or shirts under their tux. These items might have been some cool gifts from the groom intended especially for this occasion.
- Do some ushering – and walk the bridesmaids down the aisle. Part of a groomsman’s duties is to usher guests to their seats prior to the ceremony. That is, unless the groom has appointed ushers to do that job. In which case, groomsmen would just stay by the groom before the ceremony starts and help him relax. Groomsmen are paired with the bridesmaids and walk them down the aisle.
- Stay for the entire duration of the reception – and possibly give a speech. It’s a party celebrating a friend’s wedding, of course you’ll stay! A given is the best man’s speech. But sometimes, the groom may want to hear a few congratulatory words from the groomsmen. So, be prepared just in case.
Any help that they can extend during the day of the wedding will be greatly appreciated.