Drinking enough water has always been hard for me! As a busy creative, I get so wrapped up in my work that hours can go by without me knowing it. You know those days when you’re in the zone and look up to realize it’s 2:00 and you haven’t had lunch yet? That used to happen to me all the time. Plus, I would also realize I hadn’t drank enough water. As someone who’s into health and fitness, I would cringe at these bad habits of mine and vow to do better. And especially now that I’m pregnant, drinking more water has been one of my biggest goals. If you’re anything like me, I hope these tips on how to drink more water as a busy girl boss are helpful. Cheers, friends (literally)!
- Hold the coffee and drink a big glass of water right when you wake up. I know it’s tempting to reach for that cup of coffee (or tea) right away. But, I find that if I drink a big glass of water right when I wake up before my morning coffee, I’m more likely to keep sipping on water throughout the day.
- Keep a big glass of water (or bottle) next to you all day while you’re working. Whether you’re too lazy or get too caught up “in the zone” while working to get up for a glass of water, I have found that keeping a big water bottle next to me at all times while I’m working helps encourage me to drink more water.
- Set a timer to remind yourself it’s time to drink water. For those of you who laser focus in on work and all of a sudden an hour passes (this is me), set a timer on your phone to remind you that you need to take a break and rehydrate + maybe even have a snack.
- Work out, go for a walk or do something active. When I’m working out, I’m constantly reaching for my water bottle. Whether or not you’re into fitness, even just getting out for a walk mid-day can help you refocus for the rest of the work day and encourage you to drink more water.
- Eat spicy food! I love spicy food and love how adding something spicy to my meal helps motivate me to drink more water. If you’re not into spicy things, this tip isn’t for you, but if you’re a lover of hot sauce and Sriracha like me, adding a little heat always does the trick.
- Make it fun by infusing your water. A lot of people don’t drink enough water because they just don’t enjoy the taste (or lack thereof). Add some fresh mint leaves, lemon, cucumber, or other fruits + flavors you enjoy to make it tastier. You can even make this ahead of time in a big pitcher and keep it in your fridge for easy access. I’ve also done this with La Croix if I’m feeling I want something a little bubbly, but I don’t recommend drinking more than one sparkling water a day.
- Hold it in your hand. This sounds silly, but I’m more likely to finish a drink if I’m constantly holding it in my hand. Before I was pregnant, this was the case with having a beer as well! If I was holding onto it, I would drink and enjoy it, but if I put it down and got distracted by other things, it would take me an hour+ to finish it. When you’re done working for the night and relaxing on the couch, lounge on your sofa with your water in hand. Something about having it glued to you and not having to get up or reach for it makes it easier to drink!
- Match every snack/meal with at least one glass of water. Not only is this good for your overall health and digestion, it’s also an easy way to get drink more water. If you’re sitting down to have a meal, don’t get up until you finish your big glass of water. If you’re having a snack or two throughout the day, match each snack with a glass of water.
Do you have any tips to share on how to drink more water? I’d love to hear them in the comments.